The Tempe Arts & Culture Division develops and manages the city's arts and culture programs and services. The City is dedicated to enriching the lives of the local and extended community by providing life-long engagement through accessible cultural, social, and educational experiences. The links below lead to Tempe Arts & Culture programs to help you discover and enjoy a variety of creative and cultural experiences. See a show, take a class, tour a building, peruse an exhibit… there’s much to see and do in Tempe!
For information about Tempe’s public art program visit: www.tempe.gov/PublicArt
For information about Art Grants visit: www.tempe.gov/artsgrants
For information about Galleries and Performing Arts visit: www.tempecenterforthearts.com
Vibrant City Arts Grants are intended to activate Tempe and build community connections through inclusive arts and culture programming. This grant is available to cultural groups, LLCs, individual artists, non-profit organizations, and arts collectives. Grant awards up to $2,500. Applicants do not need to be Tempe-based, but their projects must occur in Tempe.
Amount: Up to $2,500 (no match required)
Deadline: November 19th, 2020 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply: All applicants are strongly encouraged to meet with city staff before completing the application. Online scheduling poll and application found at Calendly.com
- Develop a project that will take place in Tempe between January 1, 2021 - June 30, 2021. Program structures may include, but are not limited to:
- Artist Residencies in communities
- Workshops or panel discussions
- Artist/Organization Development
- Pop-Up arts events
- Community Arts Program
- Site-Specific Performances
Requests may include services of artists and educators, professional services, supplies, stipends, production costs, food, travel, marketing and printing.
- Arizona cultural group, LLC, individual artist, non-profit organization, or an arts collective providing arts programming in Tempe.
- Organizations that have an annual budget above $50,000 are not eligible for this grant category and are encouraged to apply for Tempe’s other arts grant opportunities. An applicant’s current programming must be majority related to arts and/or culture.
- Applicants are only eligible to receive one Arts Grant from the City of Tempe per year (August 1, 2020 through June 30, 2021), with one exception: applicants may also apply for and receive a Museum Series Grant even if they have already received an Arts Grant.
This grant does not fund:
- activities that occur outside of the City of Tempe
- projects that enhance a facilities exterior façade (ie. Murals or permanent infrastructure);
- corporations, organizations, or LLCs with an annual budget of over $50,000;
- construction or renovation of facilities, capital expenditures, reduction of debt, feasibilities studies, receptions, fundraising, lobbying expenses, re-granting, scholarship programs or awards;
- organizations that are incorporated for religious purposes or projects that focus on religious themes;
- university- or college-sponsored projects or unless they are open to non-credit participants;
- individuals who are full-time faculty at a college or university (adjuncts are still eligible to apply as an individual artist).
- an applicant who failed to submit a Final Report from a previously funded grant.
Applications will be reviewed by a panel of staff from Arts and Culture Division and a member of the Tempe Arts and Culture Commission. Applicants will be notified after the review process is complete. Please note that the review process is competitive and based on available funds; some applications may receive partial or no funding.
Within 60 days of completing the project, a Final Report must be submitted. The report must be a summary of the project and include professional quality images. The grant recipient agrees to give the City of Tempe the rights to use any materials submitted in the Final Report for data collection and promotional purposes.
To submit your final report you must login or create a Submittable account
Within 60 days of completing the project, a Final Report must be submitted to the City of Tempe. The report will require you to share the outcomes of your project as well images and/or video documentation of your programming. Applicants who fail to complete final reports on time will not be eligible for future arts grants funding from the City of Tempe.
Pursuant to the Grant’s terms and conditions, the City of Tempe has the rights to use any materials submitted in the Final Report for data collection and promotional purposes.